|Sector||Agriculture and Rural development|
|Program/Project Title||Sustainable Systems Development for Date Palm & Olive Production in North Sinai|
|Location||North Sinai governorate|
|Start – End date||01.08.2010-30.11.2013|
|Aid Channel||Italian-Egyptian Debt Swap Programme – II Phase|
|Type of Support||Grant|
|Applicant/Local Counterpart||Egyptian Science and Technology Association|
|Implementing Institution||Egyptian Science and Technology Association|
|Description||The initiative aimed at contributing to the human and social development of the Northern Sinai by supporting the agro-food sector. In particular, the project addressed the overall production chain of date palms and olives, from harvesting to selling, with special attention for research and development activities. An Environmental Quality Standard (EQS) was identified and then adopted by enterprises of the sector. In order to create a sustainable development model, beneficiaries of the intervention were the most vulnerable groups in the community benefiting from the creation of income generating activities, with relevant impact on female employment. Staff and employees of public institutions were participating in capacity building of and institutional strengthening related to the activities and objectives of the program.|
|Expected Results||1. Programme Management offices established & activities related to programme implementation has been carried out;
2. A strategic plan for agroenterprises development in the area for production, income generating & gender production activities elaborated and implemented;
3. Sustainable systems for Date Palm & Olive crop management and production has been developed, improved and implemented;
4. Propagation, biotechnology & Germplasm management and conservation;
5. Irrigation & Fertilization;
6. Date Palm & Olive agro-Management (Good Agricultural Practices, GAP)
|Target Beneficiaries||· Low income groups and the current resident population; current and potential participants to date palm & olive industry. An initial placement of 40% will be reserved for women to encourage their participation.
· Interested private sector entrepreneurs to participate in the developmental ventures, through contribution to agricultural development and expansion in North Sinai governorate.
· Staff & employees of public institutions would be participating in capacity building of and institutional strengthening related to the activities and objectives of the program.